There are only 18 days before Christmas and we can already feel the Yuletide Season! Shops displaying holiday icons, FM radios playing Christmas songs, shopping malls offering great sales are some signs that the festive season is arriving. In this time, the spirit of love is apparent in the air and the art of giving gifts is also common. Along with that comes the most common problem some of us have – what shall I give him/her?
For this post, I am offering my list of gift suggestions for us, bookworms! Who else? Now, for a change, and as what the title suggests, this list won’t contain any book recommendation. Instead, I came up with some things that I feel are necessary for our lives of living with books.
Let’s cut the chase and go to these gift ideas!
1. Kindle/E-book readers. I know some vowed to read the printed words, but the world is changing and we cannot ignore the advantages a portable reader has. Amazon recently released Kindle Paperwhite and there are good reviews about it. Living in a country where Amazon is not that popular, many of us here do not own a Kindle, but I think I will try to own one in the future.
2. Bookbags. For those who love hard copies of books, a book bag will be your best friend. This ensures that your loved and well-valued books won’t be exposed with the elements, unless you joined them with chocolate wrappers inside your bag. More importantly, a book bag will enable you to travel more books with you wherever you go.
3. New and better bookshelves. I think it is already given that we have our own shelves, but as we acquire more books, the world of our beloved pages become small and we need to purchase another house for them. So there goes another bookshelf.
4. Stylish bookmarks. Even some books do not want us to put them down and instead finish in one sitting, some still need breaks so bookmarks are necessary! Find something that will surely fit the reader’s personality, and you will immediately get one score in the reader’s heart.
5. Unique bookends. If you have enough space in your shelf, the next problem will be on how to ensure that your books won’t fall over. Bookends are created for this. Try to get something with unique design, too!
6. Bendable book lights. Even if our eye doctors prohibit us from tiring our eyes much and using them even in the dark, nothing can stop us from finishing a novel. So thank you for those who devised this new creation – book lights! This takes us the hassle from reading in the dark by clipping the device in the book. No need to light up the entire room, then!
7. Flag highlighters. Some of us highlight our books for those quotable quotes a character mentioned. Some even want to mark an entire page because of an important revelation in that installment. Whatever the case may be, we do not have to damage our books by putting dog ears on them. With highlighters and post-its, we can save folding our books and decreasing its value.
8. Notepad/journal. Others may find actions mentioned in number seven horrifying, so they are contented writing quotes and other things in a journal. Or sometimes, they use this to list the books they have read/wanting to read for a month!
9. Comfortable couch (foot rest can be an option). Nothing can compare with the feeling of seating in your favorite chair in the center of the room while reading a book. Try to buy a design as above so you will really feel surrounded by books!
10. T-shirts and coffee mugs bearing favorite authors and characters. For fans, we love to have some book memorabilia – may it be signed books, t-shirts, mugs. These things remind us of the authors and characters we know and loved and they inspire us to read more.
So there goes my list of gift ideas for bookworms. There are other nominees, and should you think those two are not enough, here are the other three which did not make it to the top ten.
1. Hot cup of coffee, chocolate, or tea. Others prefer to concentrate deeply in what they are reading, while some fellows like me love to drink something while drinking. For us, another gift idea could be a hot drink while we read. It can be a bag of Arabic coffee or pure green tea.
2. A CD of Moxy Fruvous’ My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors. This album has the song My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors which tells the story of a man who loves a bookworm and their lives together. It is hilarious, but true.
3. Perfume which smells like book. Bookworms love the smell of books, and perhaps some wants to smell like one!
That’s it for now. I will be going to my company’s holiday party tomorrow and I hope to get some things I have mentioned above. Just kidding! I hope this list helped you in considering what to get for your bookworm friend/lover. If you have any other gift ideas, please feel free to comment below and share your thoughts.